Sunday, March 02, 2008

The Dinosaur Riverbed Adventure

'We're leaf eaters! We're eating dinosaur food!' Isaac exclaimed between munching on plants in the flowerbed. He looked like he was eating a hotdog on a stick or something.

Then Isaac decided he wanted to explore in the trees and bushes by the riverbed. He crouched down and scampered through the barren limbs. 'Come on Daddy, let's go!' We explored the dry riverbed for a quarter of a mile or so. All the while doing guy stuff like throwing rocks, stomping on the ground, jumping off boulders, yelling in the tunnel under the road, and chasing geese by the 'big water'.

Isaac would climb out of the riverbed now and then to wind his way through the brush, repeating, 'Come on Daddy, we don't have much time!' I have no idea where that came from. The adventure turned dinosaur- we were dinosaurs, looking for our friends. When we got to the 'big water' neighborhood pond, we saw Moe, the friendly dinosaur swimmer...and his whole family. What a surprise to find them swimming right across the street from a bunch of houses.

On the way back, Isaac hopped onto my back, and we found a dead possum by some trees. Isaac was fascinated and asked a number of questions. When we walked away, he wanted to find another one, and then mice. Next, he asked, 'Can we talk about marsupials?' He wanted to find them too. His imagination and curiosity never end. I love the kid, and actually got teary-eyed because I was appreciative of the great time we were having.

3 comments:

Ash said...

I am in love with this post. Reading this was like reading a page of a touching novel about a father and son's relationship. How magical. Thanks for posting this.

Dave said...

Oh Ash, I'm so glad you like our story. It definitely was a memory-making day.

Benitez Bunch said...

I too was fascinated by this post. I know exactly every location where you two were at and I felt like I was living the experience with you. Isaac's imagination is amazing... the detail, the vocabulary, the imagry... it blows me away. Most of all, I love how you bonded... thanks for sharing this experience. It warmed my heart.

Love, Michelle