"We're gators, and we proudly wear red, green and white," sang more than 500 children as well as teachers, parents and other visitors during a schoolwide assembly Friday, Jan. 19, in the gym at Green Pines Elementary School. Some visitors from the past, including former principal Karen Kieffer, now principal of Wild Horse Elementary School in Chesterfield, drew wild applause from the crowd.
But the most poignant address came from Hillarie Christley, one of the school's first students, who was taught by Chopin in first grade.
"She never gave up," Chopin said.
Christley spoke to students about how, "when I was your age, school was really hard for me and I struggled a lot."
"But Ms. Chopin recognized that I had learning disabilities," she said. "And due to faithful teachers, I was able to really excel here. It was a big deal for me in third grade to go from the lowest reading group to the middle group. I know you can't let weakness hold you back."
Christley went on to be the 2006 undergraduate valedictorian, after receiving an academic scholarship, in the health science department at Brigham Young University. She now attends graduate school in occupational therapy at Washington University.
"Thanks to my teachers, I'm where I am today; their hard work meant a lot to me," Christley said in tears, with her parents in the audience. "Because of them, I went into this profession, to help others not have to live with limitations. I want you (students) to listen to your teachers and let them help you."
To read the full story, click on this article's title.
2 comments:
Hil- ya makin' me be a 'tear jerker'. I feel so inspired when I hear your story. Does what you accomplished inspire you? Odd question, eh? Thank you for sharing your life (er, letting me share it on the blog). Love ya lots and lots. See ya in 4 weeks!
This is for the St. Louis superstar:
http://picasaweb.google.com/platinumbev/StLouis/photo#5027917572254362722
Thanks again for the brief tour of St. Louis!
Post a Comment