Hello All! Yesterday morning I was out jogging in the brisk winter weather here in Nampa, Idaho. I had dared to run on the snowy/icy streets all week and this day seemed no different until I rounded a corner and hit a patch of "black ice" and all of a sudden I literally fell on my head! Thankfully I had Yuuki there to brace my fall. I heard what sounded like a "crack" when my head hit the pavement... it was unreal! I lay on the pavement, blood running down my face and a "good samaritan," stopped and approached me... Yuuki started to growl (my little body guard). This kind man put me in his truck and even allowed Yuuki to ride in the cab of his truck with me. I was in shock, feeling intense pain and I couldn't stop thinking, "How could this happen to me on the day that Sandro and I are suppossed to go out on our Valentine's Date?"
To make a long story short, the kind bystander took me to my friend Gretchen's house, where Deven and Micaella were being watched. Gretchen cleaned me up as best she could and placed Spiderman bandaids over my wounds. Sandro rushed from work to pick me up and took me to a nearby Quick Care. I received 6 stitches and my cheek was glued back together with a medical version of Super Glue. As they were stitching me up I had flashbacks of my bike accident when I was seven, in Farmington, Utah. I related the experience to the medical personell and told them I wouldn't cry while they stitched me up because my mom promised me when I was a girl, if I didn't cry when I got my stitches that I'd get a Barbie. I really had to hold back the tears, but I felt that sense of determination from that childhood experience. Even at 32, what I really wanted more than anything was my mommy! The love that a child has for her mother is like no other. Thanks mom for being there for me. I love you deeply and more than words could ever say!
I am now getting a black eye as well, but guess what? We still went out on our date! Everyone was shocked to see us out and about, but I had so looked forward to our night out and the Dr. said that Sandro was to keep a close eye on me the next 24 hours, so why not out to dinner and on the dance floor? Under the circumstances, we had an enjoyable night... we received many comments and jokes as you can well imagine, but we made the best of it anyway!
Sandro has taken such good care of me... he has cleaned my wounds and even washed my hair for me this morning. I am still very sore, but in time all will heal. I am so grateful that I didn't have more severe injuries. It could've been much worse... a concussion, skull fracture, neck injury, etc... I feel I have witnessed the tender mercies of the Lord in so many ways, especially through this terrible tumble!
Love you all!
Michelle
3 comments:
Oh Shel,
What a traumatic experience! I know how it feels to fall on your face! I had that experience with my bike accident in Provo. Poor Dave received the notice that I was injured by a police officer who pulled him out of our Temples class I was supposed to meet him at. As a young newlywed he was panicked.
Mom, nothing can take her place. Her presence is so calming, and empowering. She is a bright star in all of our hearts. I am so glad you are OK and proud that you still went dancing too!
Shell My Bell!
Even the day that it happened you were still so upbeat and happy. I'm amazed at your resilience and optimisitic attitude. You're awesome. I love you!!! I want to see the black eyes!
Love you,
Ash
Michelle,
I'm glad you are ok. I still remember you walking up the street with Kim Hepworth after you had crashed on Brian's bike. You girls sure had some traumatic experiences while staying at our place. If it wasn't cut legs it was bike wrecks.
That black ice sneaks up on you. I took a final in college with torn pants and a bloody knee after falling in the parking lot. I can feel you pain.
Shane
Post a Comment