Gil and I worked hard on the car yesterday- replacing the starter motor and right axle. It not only feels good to complete preventative maintenance (Julie may argue how preventative it was because of how long it took me to complete the task) but to also work with my papi-in-law.Things went pretty smoothly, and credit must be given to our mini-mechanic man Isaac. He was playing with his dinosaur herds by the tree out front. He must have noticed we needed an extra hand because he came over and began organizing the tools and car parts we had pulled. He asked, "Can I do this one? Can I help?" He was so earnest and sweet.
Isaac loves real tools- whenever he sees them he picks them up and starts 'fixing things'. He deeply wants to be involved and be 'part of the team'. He wants to help. The plastic kid tools are a joke- he knows they are fake.
I was concerned we might not understand his 'intuitive' system and come up missing pieces. But in the end, we had all the nuts and bolts we needed for the car to pass the road test. I'm thankful for that experience and memory because I wanted for him to feel involved and empowered. I tried to help him connect to the work as best I could without inviting him to slide under the body of the car with me.
No comments:
Post a Comment